Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Volleyball at the OFH


I love swimming.  I love it with a passion. Over the years I have swum enough miles to cross the US. One reason I chose this retirement community is its indoor pool. Actually I prefer outdoor pools but the winter can be dicey and I want to swim year round, so indoor pool it is.

Perfect, yes?  No. There is a problem in paradise. The pool isn’t open as many hours a week as I would like. The reason continually expressed by our administration is that not enough residents use the pool to justify the cost of more lifeguard-hours.

So the battle is on.  Donna vs the Administration.  

I am careful. Stealthy.  Quiet. Clever. Planning for a long siege. 

Goal:  Increase resident use of the pool

Step 1  Stand up for what I believe: Point out repeatedly that pool exercise is best because it reduces strain on the joints. 

Step 2  Volunteer to write a column (The Pool Corner) in our monthly in-house news magazine in which I extol the wonders of our pool.

Step 3  Form a Swim Committee to get like-minded residents on board with improving swim conditions here at the OFH.

Step 4  Start a Balance Class in the pool with the tag line – A class where you can’t hurt yourself if you fall!

Step 5  Organize an open house at the pool with cupcakes (to get them there) and a silly contest (to keep them there) - Which team can build the most unusual floating sculpture out of pool tools – fins, board, weights, etc?

Step 6 – Organize a pool volleyball team - my latest venture. 

What I didn’t expect is that I am having so much fun. Okay, all of you who know me know that athletics is NOT my strong point.  Yes, I once ran a 5 K race but my jogging pace was slower than a lot of the walkers who passed me by. Yes, I swim but not fast. And volleyball? I haven’t played since 8th grade. But guess what?  It all comes back once the ball is in your hand. And here is my big advantage. I’m the youngest on the team by 10 years at least!  All the others are in their late 70’s – 90’s.  I kid you not - I am like the whiz kid.  I leap up and slam the ball (well, let’s be honest here, hit the ball firmly) and sometimes it even goes over the net.

We are simply awful but spend so much time laughing as we flounder in the water that we don’t care.  We happily come back for more each Wednesday afternoon from 1-2 pm.  Note this is during nap time here at the OFH so my teammates are committed.

Now we are thinking about taking on other teams from nearby retirement communities.  There are a few things we need to get done, however, before this can happen:

  1. Play by the actual rules of the game.
  2. Learn how to serve effectively.
  3. Get more people on the team so we each have less pool territory to cover
  4. Have toweling robes with our team nicknames embroidered on the back  – I’m thinking, “Slugger”, “Spike” etc.
We have one advantage – our coach.  Frank has 25 years of experience in pool volleyball and loves the game. Yes, he can no longer lift his arms above his shoulders so he can’t play himself but he is happy to sit at the side of the pool and coach us. And he is good at it as well as gentlemanly, funny and observant. What I love most about Frank? He is 92 and going strong. Okay, I drive him to the pool each Wednesday (it’s 2 buildings away) because he walks slowly with a cane but all our effort will be worth it when we become famous as the toughest old folks in Portland.  Wish us well, please. 

I will let you know when we get more pool hours.  I AM determined.

3 comments:

  1. THIS!! I love this!!! "House of Cards:OFH"...overthrow the Administration. Also, the robes idea is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, wherever Gary is, he's got his old water polo outfit on and is in his quiet way, with some irony, cheering you on. Report back on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! Purely brilliant word smithing. Garrison Keillor has nothing on you kid. Loving your tag line, the youngest player advantage, and the concept of - seriously? - playing by the rules. As the challenger of the old school administration, your robe definitely should read, "Bad Ass Krasnow."

    ReplyDelete